Since it’s my second time breastfeeding and I’ve been producing a ton of milk (think the Niagara falls of breastmilk), I wanted to share exactly what has helped me keep up my storage supply. All while trying my best not to upset the baby’s stomach! The way I eat while breastfeeding doesn’t differ that much from how I eat regularly. I just plain and simple eat a shit ton more and much more often.
One thing to note… Aaaavoid bitter greens and a lot of cruciferous veg in the first 6 weeks, then slowly start to add them in. It’s all trial and error…no one loves broccoli and kale (insert crazy baby gas) more than me but I avoid these foods for the first month then slowly start to add them in one by one to strengthen her stomach to handle everything. This takes time and every baby is different. Both my kids have sensitive stomachs and this list below has drastically minimized any issues with stomach discomfort and gas.
No matter how you choose to feed your baby, whether its breastfeeding or not – you’re doing an amazing job. There’s nothing worse than moms who shame other mothers for not nursing your baby. Do what works best for you! If trying to breastfeed is creating more stress in your life, then it may not be the best option for you.
Foods that help to increase your milk supply:
- Whole grains
- Mothers milk tea
- Lactation cookies
- Freshly moms granola
Other Important Factors that make a Huuuuge difference:
- Drink tons of liquids (water, coconut water, green juice)
- As much sleep as possible (I know…I know, easier said than done but try to take naps if possible and go to bed at night when the baby goes down)
BREAKFAST: Exactly the order I have it daily.
1st) 10 oz. celery juice (juicer I use linked here)
2nd) Rice coconut milk latte with 1/2 shot of espresso 8 oz water w/ the coffee (so it’s not as acidic)
- Coconut yogurt w/ banana, 1-2 cup of mixed berries (blueberries, raspberries, strawberries) and gluten free granola
- Assortment of fruit (ex: 2 bananas, plum, mango)
- Avocado toast (2 avocados per day w/ 4 slices of bread) Sometimes I’ll have this as a snack as well or 20 minutes before I pump at night to increase supply.
- Cold or warm oats w/coconut milk, maple syrup to taste and crushed walnuts.
- Brown rice spaghetti with nutritional yeast and red sauce (occasionally add 1/2 avocado)
- Veggie jasmine rice stir fry (rice I use linked here)
- Small plain green salad with either butter lettuce, baby spinach or romaine w/ simple salad dressing
- Sweet green custom order (eat 1/2 salad and save the rest for next day: romaine, corn, carrots; purple cabbage; light onions, bean sprouts, sweet potato with lemon and a side of either the spicy cashew or vgan pesto dressing)
- Burritos (light on the beans and heavy on the rice) romaine lettuce, tomatoes, brown rice, and guacamole
- Quinoa stir fry
- Avocado rolls inside out w/ side of ponzu sauce and a side of edamame
- Gluten free lasagna
- Eggplant parm
- Hu chocolate
- Chocolate chip cookies from Juice Press
- Justin’s peanut butter cups
- Peanut Lara bars or Pure Food Organic vegan green bar (when I’m on the go)
- Almonds and walnuts
- Spelt pretzels
Please share anything that’s worked for you to help increase your milk supply while breastfeeding in the comments.