With it being so cold outside, eating grounding foods is so important. Over here we’ve been craving hearty udon soups, potatoes and pasta most days. It’s hard to incorporate your greens this time of year but it’s so important to sneak them in to aid in digestion year round. I was snooping on @hello_wholefoods’s page and found so many amazing (and beautifully photographed) recipes that I can’t wait to make. This salad stood out as we always crave this type of cheesy, yummy salad here at MWH.
Note from Joy: I have actually found it really difficult to find mustard without added preservatives and/or sugar. The brand Roland from Whole Foods only contains mustard, vinegar and salt.
INGREDIENTS (all organic):
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 3 tablespoons capers
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 large bunch tuscan kale
- 1 medium-large head organic romaine lettuce
Vegan Parmesan Cheese:
- 3/4 cup raw cashews and almonds (sunflowers seeds for allergy friendly)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast (click here for my favorite brand)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (optional)
Vegan Parmesan Cheese Directions:
- Combine nuts, nutritional yeast, sea salt and lemon zest into food processor.
- Pulse until you have finely ground mixture
- Store leftovers in fridge
- Combine all dressing ingredients in blender and blend until smooth (add additional water if too thick) and set aside
- Chop lettuce and kale into bite sized pieces and toss with dressing
- Sprinkle with vegan parm and serve